As a way of building our endowment fund to help protect the Marginal Way from future storm damage and erosion, we are offering plaque inscriptions on ten plaques with 25 inscriptions on each plaque. A total of ten bronze plaques will be placed Serenity Point, a special site along the Marginal Way, with each plaque recognizing 25 people and/or families.
The format for each line is a maximum of 33 characters including spaces. Each inscription on the temporary plaque strip will be in capital letters while the final plaque will continue to be done in “Proper Case” (lower case with capitalized first letters where appropriate).
The cost of each space on a plaque is $10,000. A minimum non-refundable deposit of $2,500 reserves a space on a plaque with the balance due within two years. The Marginal Way Preservation Fund is an IRS certified 501 (c) 3 organization so donations to this fund are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
While the current plaque is being filled, a temporary plaque has been installed so the donor’s inscription can be viewed without waiting for the completion of the plaque. The footprint and material for the permanent and temporary plaques are identical. Each inscription will be on a bronze strip, which will be attached to the Temporary plaque.
Once the plaque is filled, it will be replaced with a permanent bronze plaque and the bronze strips will be given to the donor. We have sold all the spaces on Plaque Five and have already nearly filled Plaque Six! We recently held a plaque dedication ceremony for Plaque Four on September 11. These bronze plaques are filling up and will be the last legacy names to be allowed on the Marginal Way – there will be no more after this.
Please note: we continue to receive requests for our previous, very popular bench plaque program. This program is closed. There will be no new bench plaques made available in the future. The current plaque program at Serenity Point is the only plaque-based recognition program available.
Status of Plaques
- Five family plaques (125 recognition listings) are to the left of this “friends” plaque, and five are to the right.
- A charitable donation of $10,000 will reserve a line.
- Each line has 33 spaces that can be inscribed with the name of someone you wish to recognize for posterity.
- Currently, for Plaque Seven, a temporary plaque has been installed. This plaque has the same footprint and overall design as the final plaque.
- Once we have received your non-refundable deposit of $2,500 and provided the text for the inscription we will install your temporary plaque. Once all 25 spaces are filled, the final plaque, similar to the others, will be cast and installed.
- Plaque Five has been completed, and Plaque Six is also nearly completed. Once the final casting has been created and installed, we will hold a plaque dedication ceremony, during which you will receive your temporary plaque.
About the Stones
The locally-quarried granite stones were crafted by Kevin Garfield of Wells, Maine. The bronze recognition plaques are manufactured by Steven Roy Monument Company of Rochester, New Hampshire, and the viewing area was designed by architect Hiroko Lindsey of Lindsey Architects (http://www.lindsayarchitects.com). Our most recent plaque, Plaque Three was dedicated in June, 2017
Map of Marginal Way