As a way of building our endowment fund to help protect the Marginal Way from future storm damage and erosion, we are offering plaque inscriptions on ten plaques with 25 inscriptions on each plaque.
A total of ten bronze plaques will be placed on a special site along the Marginal Way, with each plaque recognizing 25 people and/or families.
The format for each line is a maximum of 33 characters including spaces. Each inscription will be in capital letters.
The cost of each space on a plaque is $10,000. A minimum $1,000 reserves a space on a plaque. The Marginal Way Preservation Fund is an IRS certified 501 (c) 3 organization so donations to this fund are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
While the current plaque is being filled, a temporary plaque has been installed so the donor’s inscription can be viewed without waiting for the completion of the plaque. The footprint and material for the permanent and temporary plaques are identical. Each inscription will be on a bronze strip, which will be attached to the Temporary plaque. Once the plaque is filled, it will be replaced with a permanent bronze plaque and the bronze strips will be given to the donor.
There are only two spaces left on the current plaque, and we hope to be ready to install and dedicate the permanent plaque by late Summer or early Fall. Once those are filled, we will start filling the next plaque.
These bronze plaques are now filling up and will be the last legacy names to be allowed on the Marginal Way – there will be no more after this.
Status of Plaques
- Five family plaques (125 recognition listings) are to the left of this “friends” plaque, and five are to the right.
- A charitable donation of $10,000 will reserve a line.
- Each line has 33 spaces which can be inscribed with the name of someone you wish to recognize for posterity.
- Currently for Plaque Three, a temporary plaque has been installed. This plaque has the same footprint and overall design of the final plaque.
- Those who have made an initial non-refundable deposit of $1,000 and provided the text for the inscription will have that line installed on the temporary plaque until all 25 spaces are filled. At that time, the final plaque, similar to the first two, will be cast and installed.
Once the final plaque is in place, the bronze strip that was used on the temporary plaque will be given to the donor for their own use.
About the Stones
The locally-quarried granite stones were crafted by Kevin Garfield of Wells, Maine. The bronze recognition plaques are manufactured by Steven Roy Monument Company of Rochester, New Hampshire, and the viewing area was designed by architect Hiroko Lindsey of Lindsey Architects (http://www.lindsayarchitects.com). A dedication for Plaque One was held in October of 2013.
Map of Marginal Way