As a way of building our endowment fund to help protect the Marginal Way from future storm damage and erosion, we are offering plaque inscriptions on ten plaques with 25 inscriptions on each plaque.
A total of ten bronze plaques will be placed on a special site along the Marginal Way, with each plaque recognizing 25 people and/or families.
The format for each line is a maximum of 33 characters including spaces. Each inscription on the temporary plaque strip will be in capital letters while the final plaque will continue to be done in “Proper Case” (lower case with capitalized first letters where appropriate).
The cost of each space on a plaque is $10,000. A minimum $2,500 reserves a space on a plaque with the balance due within two years. The Marginal Way Preservation Fund is an IRS certified 501 (c) 3 organization so donations to this fund are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law.
While the current plaque is being filled, a temporary plaque has been installed so the donor’s inscription can be viewed without waiting for the completion of the plaque. The footprint and material for the permanent and temporary plaques are identical. Each inscription will be on a bronze strip, which will be attached to the Temporary plaque. Once the plaque is filled, it will be replaced with a permanent bronze plaque and the bronze strips will be given to the donor.
We have sold all the spaces on plaque four and have already started filling plaque five! We anticipate having a dedication ceremony for plaque four in late spring or early summer.
These bronze plaques are now filling up and will be the last legacy names to be allowed on the Marginal Way – there will be no more after this.
Purchase a plaque (min. $2,500 deposit)/make a payment on your plaque pledge
Email us for more information
Status of Plaques
- Five family plaques (125 recognition listings) are to the left of this “friends” plaque, and five are to the right.
- A charitable donation of $10,000 will reserve a line.
- Each line has 33 spaces which can be inscribed with the name of someone you wish to recognize for posterity.
- Currently for Plaque Four, a temporary plaque has been installed. This plaque has the same footprint and overall design of the final plaque.
- Those who have made an initial non-refundable deposit of $2,500 and provided the text for the inscription will have that line installed on the temporary plaque until all 25 spaces are filled. At that time, the final plaque, similar to the first three, will be cast and installed.
Once the final plaque is in place, the bronze strip that was used on the temporary plaque will be given to the donor for their own use.
About the Stones
The locally-quarried granite stones were crafted by Kevin Garfield of Wells, Maine. The bronze recognition plaques are manufactured by Steven Roy Monument Company of Rochester, New Hampshire, and the viewing area was designed by architect Hiroko Lindsey of Lindsey Architects (http://www.lindsayarchitects.com). Our most recent plaque, Plaque Three was dedicated in June, 2017
Map of Marginal Way